Monday, May 27, 2019

Unit Two: Making Sense of Swink's Study in My Life



↱Just a side note for those who wish to comment on my blog post for the assignment, how in the world do you get gif's to attach to your post? I think giving me instructions on how to do so would qualify as a quality comment. It will help me make my posts more interesting. I am sitting here thinking of several gif's that would go perfectly with what I am trying to say; but I am also sitting here typing without a clue of how to do it. ↲

I will attach photos for now. Thank you in advance to whoever can lend a hand for Unit Three! I guess I could work on my tech skills a little bit.

Anyway.

I am not sure about everyone else, but I sometimes catch myself identifying with the attributes in characters on television or in books that are considered "flaws." This is mentioned in the study by Swink. Ruby, one of the students participating in the study identifies with Liz Lemon's awkwardness and inability to handle certain situations.  Of course I am guilty of being awkward at times and not always knowing how to handle things perfectly.

As an example, I identify with Pam on The Office in terms of her dry humor and seriousness. Even though those are technically flaws, I also do the opposite and say things like "Pam is hilarious and so smart. Her and Jim are so cute. Tyler! We are so Jim and Pam."

Tyler (my boyfriend) does not mind being compared to Jim because Jim is funny, cute in a quirky way, and excels in the office.

*Note, Tyler and I do not actually think we are Jim and Pam. For obvious reasons of us not being Jenna Fischer and John Krasinski.  We just say that because we think it is funny. There is an example of my dry humor.

** Note, I like my dry humor. I don't really consider it a flaw.

Well here I am, not making a straight point because I am venting about The Office. Okay back on track now. Before I move on, here are a few laughs from The Office:




Anyway (Part 2): In Swink's article, she is discovering findings related to who we identify with in terms of female characters and who we find most funny. I wanted to discuss this in the blog post for this unit because I personally found it particularly interesting.

While I think I have a balance between identifying with the "flaws" of characters and the positive attributes, I also tend to think the males in certain shows are funnier than some of the women characters. For example, I laugh at Michael Scott more than I find myself laughing at Holly or Jan -- Michael's girlfriends.

This does NOT mean I don't think women are funny. As stated in the article, some of the shows in which I find a male character to be the funniest, is created by a woman!

My conclusion through comparing this study to my view of women in humor has one similar to the findings of the study. It truly depends on the shows and the characters. Women are not always funnier than men, and men are not always funnier than women.

It is worth noting though, that characters such as Leslie Knope in Parks and Recreation appeal more to me than characters such as Kelly in The Office. As a feminist, I want women characters to embody the role of empowerment, courage, and determination such as Leslie Knope. Not that I don't enjoy Kelly or think she is funny, I just don't relate to the character that dotes over a boy like Ryan, or who is ditsy as she is as the character of Kelly.

That is my conclusion of the study in my own life and my own watchings of comedy shows.


Please comment on how you felt about the study while reading it and how you applied it to your own views as well!




Swink, Robyn Stacia. “Lemony Liz and Likable Leslie: Audience Understandings of Feminism, Comedy, and Gender in Women-Led Television Comedies.” Feminist Media Studies, vol. 17, no. 1, 2017, pp. 15-25. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! I love your post and how funny you made it. It also relates a lot to Alexandra's post for this unit, which I really appreciated. Now I am pondering them in conjunction with each other. To answer your question about gifs, I have a macbook so your computer may be different, but I have included gifs directly and as links. To use them directly, I have just googled them or found them on giphy/tumblr/etc and then dragged them to my desktop. Then I dragged them to my blog. To link a gif to a sentence in your blog, just copy and paste the link, head over to your blog, select the sentence you would like to link, and click the link button at the top of the page. Then you can paste your URL and you are on your way.

    I also relate to the flaws of characters on TV, and as someone who loves The Office, I think that those flaws that we find so relatable are one of the mains reasons that many people love this show. The Office captures all the weird, uncomfortable, and very real parts about working with other humans, day in and day out, and it is still very fresh and unique, in my opinion. To me, it as a show captures things that are often edited out on TV - terrible, embarrassing moments, or great, emotional ones.

    On the issue of gender in comedy, although I also responded to Alexandra's post on the topic, I think I really agree with you as well. Sometimes I find men more funny, and sometimes I find women more funny! And I think a lot of that is based on our individual personalities. For example, even though I think of myself as a feminist, I still love and relate to Kelly Kapoor's character - simply because of my personality! Overall great post, love the memes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! I would like to help you out so that you can insert gifs into your blog.
    Step 1. Go to the tiny icon that looks like a tiny polaroid picture of a mountain. When you place your cursor over it, it should say “Insert Image.”
    Step 2. Click the tiny polaroid picture of a mountain icon. A white box that states “Add Images” on the top left should show up.
    Step 3. Click “From A URL”
    Step 4. Paste the URL from your gif into the “Paste an Image URL Here” section. The section is highlighted with a pale blue color.
    Step 5. A preview of the gif of your choice should show up. If you change your mind about the gif in the preview, you press a cancel button below.
    Step 6. Press a bright blue button that states “Add Selected” in white lettering.
    Step 7. Voila! Your gif should be on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

  3. I appreciate your dry sense of humor! I never understood why that and being awkward is considered a “flaw”. Who gets to decide that anyway? I wrote my blog on Swink’s article as well. She brings up several interesting points that are often overlooked, so I’m glad they’re being brought into the light. I think your point is valid. Sometimes you just happen to think a male character is funnier and that doesn’t necessarily mean you think the women characters aren’t funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point. Who decides what is funny? It is entirely subjective, at least as I see it. Awkwardness has made a career for many funny people Michael Cera's entire career is based on his social ineptitude and it has served him well. Dry humor is no flaw at all. every joke does not need to be telegraphed and punctuated with a rim-shot. Well said.

      Delete
  4. Are unique characterizations flaws? I don’t think so. Pam being serious and dry makes her who she is. Can it be called a flaw? What criteria is the flaw vs. flawless system based on? What is the perfect flawless person? The world needs people with flaws to function. There are geniuses who are so crippled by their mental ability they cannot form social relationships. Their flaws make them smarter than everyone else. At what point is someone’s skill even or at the same level as their flaws or weaknesses? Identifying flaws is based on your personality traits not some objectively calculated truth. Who you are determines what you see as a flaw and what you pick out or “see” as admirable or flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Analyzes comedy and why its funny can actually be tricky! The office is a good show to reference along side the work we have been reading. I see Amy poehler refer to this show a lot! Sometimes what makes it the most comical is how relatable it is. The awkward humor in the office is a perfect example of this. I enjoyed reading your blog:)

    ReplyDelete