Thursday, May 23, 2019

Unit One Post - Using Humor to Make People Listen


In her intro to They Used to Call Me Snow White... But I Drifted, Regina Barreca discusses a lot of the ways that women use and interact with humor. In one section, "Clearing Space" (21), she describes how Pamela West used humor to get men to listen to her. While that was just one example, it's true that all of us use humor to talk about subjects we'd rather avoid.

In this day and age, one of the biggest "subjects to avoid" that people can't stop talking about is politics. With an increasingly divisive political climate, news stories have become harder and harder to digest. The sheer ridiculousness of some stories from all over the political spectrum are enough to make me want to throw my phone in disgust. It’s like watching a train wreck in slow motion, except it’s not just one train anymore, it’s a line of trains crashing into one another, piling up in a smoldering mountain of wreckage and garbage, with the majority of people feeling helpless to do anything except stand on the sidelines, take pictures, and vow to vote for a better train conductor next time around.

Maybe as a result of this helplessness and frustration, people have been turning more and more to comedy to get their daily fix of news. It’s easier to process hearing that yet another train has crashed when the person delivering the news at least throws in a few laugh lines to soften the blow. As a result, comedic news shows have flourished in the last couple of years, with shows like The Daily Show, Last Week Tonight, and Saturday Night Live gaining popularity on T.V. networks and other streaming platforms.

One of the most contentious topics gaining attention in the last few months is the topic of reproductive rights. Despite the fact that one would think the topic disproportionately affects one gender over the other, polls show gender isn’t the defining factor in determining which side a person is on, with political ideology being a much more significant factor. All the same, it's pretty disheartening when legislation affecting woman's bodies is in the hands of people who clearly know nothing about it at all.

In light of that fact, Samantha Bee from Full Frontal decided it might be a good idea to try and educate the senators on the subject a bit.


Bee takes a sensitive topic and discusses it in a funny way, while also providing some important inaccuracies that surround the debate. More than that, when she does take hits at people with her humor, she punches up. She uses her comedy to directly challenge the people who are controlling, saying of one senator, "If you're not smart enough to be pregnant, you're definitely not smart enough to legislate it" (00:42). Unfortunately, since these uneducated senators still hold legislative power, at least for now, Bee decided to use her platform to give these senators a lesson they've likely never had before—a lesson in sex education. Aside from being a funny concept (spoon feeding aging senators information about female anatomy), at a time when senators have demonstrated again and again that they're clueless about the female body, and yet are trying their hardest to control it all the same, Bee's lecture carries a note of urgency about it. The idea that senators are building bills based on medical practices that actual doctors have termed "science fiction," while at the same time attempting to limit access to birth control shows how ignorant they are about women's bodies. And should our bodies really be left in the hands of people that clueless?

Since we have to live with them for now, though, it's important that people like Bee are making an effort to educate people on the facts of the situation. And if comedy is what makes people listen, then it's all the better. Beyond the facts, the only thing left at the core of this debate is a difference of opinions—and as for dealing with that, I'll take another line from Bee: "I don't give a shit about your personal opinions" (07:58). At the end of the day, at least let the people who decide be the people who are affected by the legislation: women. This is the one debate where men can take their turns as the ones with their mouths shut.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany! I totally agree with your analysis of our current political atmosphere and think that many others (including myself) feel as disheartened as you do. This post actually made me think about my mom. Recently she tells me that she just can't bear to read/watch/browse the news as it is just too upsetting for her, and so often I am the one who relays current news stories to her. This role as a sort of "reporter" to my mom makes me think about how people select and relay news, what is "news-worthy" and how newscasters and reporters deliver news, with humor, empathy, or no emotion at all. I agree that humor is very important when it comes to politics, but that it can be a fine line between using comic relief to make news more accessible, and using too much comedy so that the focus of the article or story is shifted from the original topic. I find myself looking for humorous posts or stories, especially about reproductive rights, as otherwise it can be too depressing. I think it is important to remember that humor can be a vehicle for change - make someone laugh and they may be more likely to remember your argument or even come around to your way of thinking! So, your post "Using Humor to Make People Listen" is pretty spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethany! Oh my, how I needed to read this post. You have put my frustration into words and I thank you for that. I am not attempting to talk politics here, as it is a sticky situation; however, I do totally agree that humor is a great way to get people to listen . We see that in Fey (I keep bringing that up because it is my favorite reading so far) when she makes constant jokes and highlights ironic and obvious situations to make readers laugh. It works! It is genius! I think that is one of the biggest problems in our political system, people are dull and care about themselves and their opinions. I wish we had more people in power who knew how to laugh, sympathize, smile genuinely, and think of others. If only! Thank you for your post. I think it reflects women's humor in a very unique and real way. Again, like in Fey's book, we see a woman making fun of a serious situation that allows people to see how ridiculous some people are being. That completely is leaving my political views out of things, I just think some people (like the Senators she mentions) are biased toward their own opinions and uninformed. You make some awesome points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bethany! The train metaphor in your blog post is really funny! I agree with you that comedy can draw attention to political issues. It is like sweeting a bitter pill to make it easier to swallow. One example of this was when John Oliver used dogs with puppet arms to make it more appealing to people to listen to audio recordings of Supreme Court cases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you posted a Samantha Bee video. She is highly underrated, in my opinion. I also like that you specify that Bee tends to only "punch up." This is so important because the last thing that needs to happen is people fighting a bullying with bullying. We can all see how well that approach is working now. Comedy does so much to draw in people (like myself) who have no interest in spending their scarce and valuable free time being lectured and told how inherently evil I am. Many issues are painful for people to talk about, in earnest, but are more easily navigated when humor is there to sweeten the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’re right when you say there’s a need for comedic relief in life. The plethora of satirical news programs is evidence of this. Samantha bee is so great. Back when Jon Stewart was still on the daily show i had a conversation with my mom about how much i wished Amy Poehler or someone else would make another satirical news program. Samantha bee delivered. Inaccuracies are so prevalent in every politically fueled debate. I wish someone would make a show just about political inaccuracies so the hypocrisy could be outed once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I don't give a shit about your personal opinions" is a great bit to pull out of the clip--and makes me think of "I don't care if you like it!" Great discussion here, too, folks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I already commented on this post, but I was reading back through the blogposts, and the title of this post, "Using Humor to Make People Listen", stood out to me again. In light of Phoebe Robinson's You Can't Touch My Hair I think that the title of this post and its content relate very much to her writing as well, and I thought it was significant enough to comment again. In her introduction, Robinson makes it clear that she is going to talk about race and that it will probably make her white readers uncomfortable. However, she doesn't want this to stop white readers from reading her book. She includes enough jokes to soften the blow of her serious content, which I assume was part of her intention to get more white people to read her book and enjoy it, while being educated. I still love the title of your post, and I feel like it could function as the definition of what politically-leaning comedy is: using humor to make people listen.

    ReplyDelete