Thursday, May 30, 2019

Unit Three Post - What Cultural References Define a Generation: Phoebe Robinson and the Gay Rat Wedding

Since reading selections from Phoebe Robinson's book You Can't Touch My Hair, I have been pondering cultural references, in literature and in life. To me, one of the most defining characteristics of Robinson's writing is her ability to stay both relevant and entertaining by tying in references to pop culture. I love pop culture. And academic writing. And where the two collide. So Robinson's style gets a big yes from me. 

Recently, a controversial episode of the children's television show Arthur has become a big deal on the internet (or as the kids call it, gone viral). This episode, entitled "Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone", was taken off the air in Alabama following conservative pressure. You can read about it all here. Fast forward a few days, and the Gay Rat Wedding (hereafter referred to as the GRW) went viral, resulting in memes, jokes, and political satire. This morning, after falling asleep last night pondering the writing of Phoebe Robinson, I saw the following tweet.


You're probably wondering what Phoebe Robinson has to do with the GRW, so I'll get to it. I have to say, I'm really liking the acronym "the GRW." Is the GRW the new GOP? 

So after reading Phoebe Robinson and her discussion of the pop culture and media references that framed her youth, I started asking myself which pop culture references defined my youth. What about me right now? Me in ten years? What if I had to pick a few media references to define "my generation"? I'm sorry but I thought about the GRW. It reeks of everything that our society is preoccupied with at the moment: archaic laws and the separation of church and state issue, meme culture, our fascination with television and reality and the line separating them... 

In light of my thoughts on Phoebe Robinson and the GRW, I thought I would try to come up with a few pop culture references that I believe are in some way definitive of my youth. 

When I think about my childhood, I remember my fascination with certain very specific, weird, things and people. One of those things/people was Hillary Duff, known to me back then as Lizzie McGuire. My cousin and I both had underwear with Lizzie McGuire on them.  In retrospect this is slightly odd, maybe more so than having, for example, Spider-Man, on your underwear. Mine looked like this. 


Also, if you were considering googling "Lizzie McGuire underwear", don't do it. Just don't. 

We all wanted to be Lizzie McGuire. She had a cartoon version of herself, which helped her express her frustration when things went wrong with her love interest or her grades. She also had an alter ego who was an amazing singer, AND she got to travel to Italy. So basically, I was crazy jealous. If I had to bury a time capsule from the early 2000s, it would definitely have cartoon character underwear in it. 

On the other hand, sometimes what can define a generation (or a childhood) isn't something that everyone necessarily likes, like Lizzie McGuire and her printed underwear, but something that people just constantly reference. When I think of something that people constantly referenced when I was a kid, it would have to be Janet Jackson's boob. 

Okay, that came off wrong. Just to be clear, I think Janet Jackson is super cool. And so are boobs. And at this point in my life, I don't consider either one shocking enough to be something I think about a lot. However, looking back, the wardrobe malfunction that occurred during the halftime show of Super Bowl XXXVIII was mentioned constantly when I was younger. If your shirt was looking a little low-cut, someone would be like "You don't wanna pull a Janet, do you?" 

Here are Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake rocking out, pre wardrobe malfunction. 



As a young person, I didn't really understand the significance of the malfunction. I only talked about it because adults talked about it, and kids copy adults. Fifteen years later, I think that our preoccupation with the wardrobe malfunction incident says a lot about how our society treats women - as a child I thought literally the worst thing you could do was show your breast on live television. 

As an adult, I'm not in favor of or against breasts on television. I'm just not thinking it's a huge deal. Hopefully, we have gotten past this preoccupation, at least a bit. Also, don't google "Janet Jackson boob" either (although you might get some delightful google suggestions for "Stretch jeans for all sizes", "Gorgeous Purple Nail Polish Shades" and "Delicious fruit snacks here").  

Lastly, as a visual person, I think that a big part of my childhood was the cringey fashion. I'm talking ~ Frosty Eyeshadow ~


 ~ Butterfly Clips ~

 

And ~ Dresses ~ Over ~ Jeans ~



And also, remember when Kim Kardashian wore mom dresses and was a rep for Charmin?


Those bears are downright terrifying. 

To be clear, this is a random sampling of the cultural moments that defined my childhood. So, don't be too worried about me. And please, drop me a line about the cultural moments that were defining for you. Here's to telling our kids about the GRW. 






9 comments:

  1. Fiona! Your posts are awesome. Thank you! Also, the Arthur thing is ridiculous. I agree with you, here's to telling our kids about the GRW! Also, in terms of cultural moments of my childhood..hmm. Never really thought about this much! I would 110% have to agree on Lizze McGuire. Oh my, I have no words for how much I loved the show and movie. I didn't watch that Super Bowl, but I totally agree with you about how it says a lot about women. Super interesting blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know if everyone has seen it but there’s this 90s cartoon about Martin Luther Kin Jr. made for kids which I watched in elementary school. In it MLK is saved by time traveling kids who come to the realization his wrongful death helped move the civil rights movement forward more than his survival. This cartoon had a major impact on me because it was the first time I started thinking about racism. The conclusion I made was that the fact I was confronted with the issue made me more race aware and therefore more racial minded than if I wasn’t subject to this educational cartoon. Racism makes no sense to kids because they’re pure and ignorantly enlightened away from the awareness of societies shortcomings in equality by way of history. It contained a GRW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Fiona! Those pairs of Lizzie McGuire underwear are...heck, I really don't have words for them. They defy description and inspire hush tones of enigmatic bafflement, like the meaning and purpose of the universe and the reasons why fools fall in love. The photos you shared are like a hilarious fever dream of cringe worthy early aughts trends. I think that I was more inspired by toys and cartoons than by cultural moments in my childhood. I loved the Jem cartoons and the dolls. Jem was a rock star who lived a double life. Believe it or not, it got me interested in exploring music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment definitely made me laugh Alexandra! Your comment and in retrospect this whole post, made me think about your paper on Soviet kitsch for Dr. Messenger's class. Those underwear definitely classify as kitsch! Now I am pondering the way that some people are homesick for the kitsch from a particular era. For example, some people feel very fondly about the late 90s/early 2000s and want to bring back scrunchies, butterfly clips, etc. It is a weird and kitschy world!

      Delete
  4. I'll join the chorus praising this post. It made me laugh several times. Beyond that, it does precisely what you say you enjoy doing: combining pop culture and an academic lens. Btw: here's my favorite commentary on the GRW: https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a27542602/alabama-public-television-arthur-ban/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing me to this article, Dr. Hanrahan! It was very funny, and made me look at the controversy surrounding Arthur from a different perspective. This post even made me think about the self-deprecating humor that we have been discussing in the work of Barreca, Fey and Gadsby. Lines from this article like "But what do I know? I'm just a gay cartoon rat trying to figure out what salutation to use on this formal card stock invitation addressed to a child" led me to view the author of this article as a funny and self-deprecating voice. Based on Gadbsy's argument that minorities often use this kind of humor to make the majority population feel more comfortable, this connection makes sense. Perhaps the author felt this way of writing about "Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone" was right for the admittedly mainstream audience of Elle magazine.

      Delete

  5. Great post, I laughed a lot! The early 2000's were definitely a weird time, but I think every decade has its fair share. Man those photos are cringy! Except for the Lizzy McGuire underwear. Those will forever be iconic. I agree with Alexandra, toys and cartoons mostly impacted my childhood. However, the fashion did as well. Absolutely hated when my mother forced me to wear the dreaded gauchos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, another great post! I remember rocking butterfly clips in my hair and watching just about every show on Disney channel; I miss the OG Disney shows. I grew up on Disney channel, Polly Pockets (the ones with rubber clothes) Kool-Aid Jammers, and my Razor scooter with the light-up wheels. I like how you were able to connect to use of pop culture the same way Robinson does. This post makes me feel nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I owned those exact underwear?? I wasn't even all that interested in Lizzie McGuire, though. Actually, what is it with celebrities from that era using pseudonyms? I can think of at least her and Hannah Montana. I think my favorite things from that era was Lisa Frank (a little bit garish now, but I still secretly love it), pizza bagels (Robinson hating on them on page xvi made me so sad), and 4Kids' horrible dubs of anime. I'm not sure if anyone else was watching Sailor Moon, Mew Mew Power, or Magical DoReMi in those years, but they were pretty defining for me. Especially Mew Mew Power. Does making a Mew Mew original character count as a fursona? Because if so, that makes that phase all the more harrowing.

    ReplyDelete