Friday, May 31, 2019

Gadsby in Comedy vs. Gadsby in Being a Powerful SOB -- or Gadsby doing BOTH? Definitely both.

I just finished watching Nanette. I rushed to the blog to send my initial thoughts, and will add more as a rewatch most likely. It was such a powerful show. This is kind of my own little review and biased toward the show as well as a personal connection about the importance of honestly and passion.

Here goes!✓

First, my reaction to Gadsby as a person in general. She is honest, adorable, and a powerful woman who I now look up to. ↘



Next, I loved the show and the different dynamic it brought to our class discussion. I have to admit it was nothing like I thought it would be. I didn't really have any specific expectations about what it would be like, but it was much more passionate, serious, and still funny at times.

I would recommend it for anyone, especially those who get more tense hearing about what Gadsby talks about! "Lighten up," she tells everyone (geared toward straight white men). Everyone should listen.

I have had so many experiences where I am trying to say something or communicate an idea -- when suddenly, I realize the kids I am teaching, or the audience I am trying to reach, or even myself is distracted or not listening! How do I fix this?

Typically, as cliche as it may sound I ask someone to connect what I am talking about to a personal experience. This allows for personal application of the lesson or principle. Telling my own stories also has a powerful effect. Honesty, passion, and connection are POWERFUL tools in communicating an idea.

If you just argue, argue, argue or joke, joke, joke....surprise!!!! No one cares or takes you seriously.

But if you connect your point, argument, or principle to something personal and meaningful, the ears tend to pay more attention. Not all the time, but most of the time.


5 comments:

  1. Some interesting points here, Emily! I find the argument that the personal helps with persuasion, well...persuasive. Sharing stories can change minds and hearts. But that also means putting your story out there again and again--and that can mean pain and vulnerability (if you are someone like Gadsby, for instance). It's emotional labor passed onto marginalized populations. So...that's a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! I’m a tutor during the fall semester, and your teaching advice is quite helpful. Most people do like to relate to their own personal experiences. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your point about personal experience being the best way to relate to other people. Drawing large and abstract ideas isn’t usually the best way to inform someone about your idea or whatever you’re trying to express. Unless you’re Gadsby, and you’re illustrating the role of truth and tension in stand up comedy. Great gif too. I totally agree. She’s great and I recently read Gadsby was diagnosed with autism in 2017. I think this fact added to her performance how she relays her points so clearly. Like you said the best way to relate what you’re feeling or trying to express is from personal experience. Gadsby is forced to do this with the wall of autism trying to impede her. Is it possible her spectrum disorder made her a more effective public speaker? I don’t know but I do know the extent of learning and training people with this condition undergo to be understood and understand other people more clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that being personal and honest is a much better way to get people to listen than simply arguing or joking all the time, though, like Dr. Hanrahan pointed out, that can often be a painful experience. I think this is probably a good lesson for listeners, as well. It's sometimes hard to take someone seriously and listen to them when they're being argumentative, or they aren't taking themselves seriously, but if it's someone that we care about, we should take the time to try and listen to them and understand them. And when someone does have the courage to share a personal experience in order to help people learn, they deserve respect and attention for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that personal experiences can help bridge one's audience to your argument or point. Sometimes it is that openness that allows people to make a connection with what you trying to communicate. Like you said, this doesn't work for everyone, but it can be helpful.

    ReplyDelete