Friday, May 24, 2019

Rules


So as I was reading Tina Fey’s book, Bossypants, I was seriously entertained by her list of, “Rules of Improvisation That Will Change Your Life and Reduce Belly Fat,” and although I found it amusing, there was one line in particular that caught my eye in a more thoughtful way. Toward the end of the list Fey explains to the reader that it is not only vital for women to make statements, but to make them unapologetically. This idea of being unapologetic is something I never realized that I struggled with, until recently.

In fact, it’s this line in particular that called to mind a moment that happened at the grocery store with my daughter earlier this year, a moment that stands out in my memory. A moment that one would almost overlook but doesn’t because the universe is determined to make you aware of something meaningful. Isn’t that funny? You always know it’s important when the most simple of moments, the ones that initially seem insignificant, stay with you long after the fact.

So, we were at the grocery store following all of the “grocery store rules”, you know the rules. We were walking in a straight line, stopping at stop signs, staying along the perimeter of the store, avoiding the aisles, etc. As I pushed the cart in front of me I made sure to stay on the “right side of the road”. If you are one of those people who do not stay on “the right side of the road” at the grocery store, I forgive you.

Btw...

Anyone else... just me?

Anyway, as we began to make the dangerous pass by another aisle, an unknown woman, obviously unaware of the necessary traffic patterns happening all around her, came bursting out of the aisle she was in, ramming her cart into the side of mine as she glared at me with daggers in her eyes.

Now… I knew she ran into me. She knew she ran into me. And yet my instant response was, “Oh! I’m sorry!” followed by an understanding smile.

She grimaced and seemed quite annoyed that I was still in her way, even though she came roaring out of the aisle without looking in either direction. Still, she didn’t budge and waited for me to go around her, which I did, allowing her to move on.

As I walked away feeling slightly insulted, my daughter looked up at me with an inquisitive glance, her head cocked to the side.

“Mom,” she asked, “Why do you always apologize?”

“What?” I asked.

“Whenever we’re in the store or someone’s in the way, you say ‘sorry’. Why do you say that?” staring at me, patiently waiting for an answer.

But the truth is, I didn’t have one. So I told her I didn’t know and we continued our quest involving coffee creamer and cookies, most likely. I reflected on her question later that day.

I guess I didn’t realize that I did this so often. Since then, I’ve caught myself apologizing for similar occurrences, almost like it’s a reflex. The only thing I can guess is that somewhere along the way I was taught to believe that I have something to be sorry for, or maybe more importantly, that if a mistake happens, it must be my fault. I don’t know, but her question has lingered in my memory.

Why do I do that?

Like everyone, I’m sure I can trace connections from this false sense of responsibility to my past; in fact I know I can. However, the reason why I have this initial reaction of guilt or shame, even when things are out of my control, may not necessarily be worth understanding and doesn’t seem to change the fact that I simply do.

The meaning behind my realization should in fact be that, regardless of the reasons behind my apologetic stance (whether it’s due to my upbringing, my experiences, my personality or the ‘women’s guilt’ that is engrained way before adulthood, the guilt that Barreca and Gray so effectively speak of in their pieces), the more important fact is that my daughter is watching me. She is watching and carefully taking mental note of my experiences and reactions and incorporating what she observes into her perception of life. That was eye opening for me.

That day, in my local grocery mart, I had an epiphany. I became aware, in essence, of the significance of this experience not only for me but also for my daughter. It was a wake up call.

It’s an idea that Fey, I think, is trying to convey in her book. We may not be able to effect change in everyone and sometimes it’s not our job to change the world. But it’s important to remember that we can effectively impact those around us, even in our own little personal spaces. I don’t want my daughter to grow up in a world that teaches women to apologize simply because they exist. I want her to understand her worth and be able to embrace all the world has to offer her, unapologetically.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow...love love love this post. So well-written and so important. (And funny!) What do the rest of you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked reading your blog post about your trip to the grocery store with your daughter. I liked how your writing style on your blog post was very conversational and dialogue based. Your daughter seems very inquisitive. I’m glad you had some self-reflection about her question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this post to be funny and true! I cracked up about the "unwritten rules" of the grocery store. I also find myself to be overly apologetic, even for things I am not responsible for but I have never thought about it before. It is interesting how a small moment like that can spark such thought! Good job connecting Fey to a personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That apologetic habit is something I've noticed in myself, as well. And like you said, I can probably directly trace it back to experiences I had in my upbringing. I don't know if this is exclusively a female experience, but being raised to always assume that I did something wrong, that whatever was happening was my fault, is just ridiculous and wrong. And it's not like anyone has ever said those words to me. When I was a child, my mom never stopped me and said that I had to always apologize because it was my fault. I'm sure I just picked it up from watching her behavior. I really hope that you can raise your daughter so she knows not everything is her fault, so that she can be unapologetic. We always have chances to relearn things like this, like your daughter helped you to think about it that day in the store, but the important thing is to try and not give this to the next generation. I really enjoyed your post, and it gave me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete