Friday, May 31, 2019

Thigh Gap, Anyone?

          THE THIGH GAP. 
Don’t have one? It may be time to reevaluate your life. 





So, I wrote my response paper for this unit using Phoebe Robinson’s book, Don’t Touch My Hair, as a reference, exploring the ways that the African American community, particularly women, have experienced racial inequality. This topic brought other concerns to mind, so I’ve decided to remix my paper a bit and explore, through a feminist lens, other ways in which society has placed unrealistic and just plain sexist ideals upon women. 

Because let’s face it, there are many ways in which women have been trained and coerced to believe that our bodies are incomplete or that we need to improve ourselves in order that the outside world will find us appealing; that is, according to their standards, not ours. This essentially means that we are not okay the way we are, implying that something is wrong with us. So, as life begins, we are taught (whether directly or indirectly) that we need to “fix” ourselves, creating a lifetime of insecurities and self-doubt.  

One section of Robinson’s book that caught my attention can be found in the chapter, “Dear Future Female President: My List of Demands”, where Robinson explains that her first demand is that the future female President crack down on the, “magazine writers, bloggers, and entertainment news journalists who insist on perpetuating the thigh-gap obsession,” (Robinson 102). After all, these are the people that have encouraged these myths that women have come to believe. And the ridiculous thigh gap is only one example. 

               Since the beginning of time women have been judged on their body shape, breast size, facial features, beauty, hair color and texture, fertility, sex appeal and the list goes on. Over time, those of the female gender have been commodified as a way to please and satisfy others and, as Robinson would say, repeatedly left out of the conversation regarding our own bodies (111). It’s important to get back into the conversation; it has to do with us, with women. 

                  Although the controversy surrounding the recent thigh gap trend can be somewhat amusing (on both sides), the point is that it is simply a symbol of the many bias's that exist within our communities even today and it’s inspiring to come across writers like Robinson who confront the sexism at work within society and call others to action against it. It's so important for future generations of young girls to see women that refuse to be objectified in any fashion. In order to do this, we, as empowered women, need to pay attention to what we watch, how we invest our time and who we spend it with, while also scrutinizing the so-called truth from advertisers and mainstream media, making choices based on what is healthy and good for us as individuals.

               Now, if you sport a thigh gap, more power to you! For me, personally, I don't quite know how I would make it through life. It's my resting place for, well, everything. I would lose my keys, my phone, my kids, who knows? It's better to be on the safe side, I'm sure. I'll have another piece of cake.



        

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Julie. A great example of "remixing" your response paper. You balance a smart point with good examples and a terrific sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Julie. I remember in particular, a day talking with my friends when I was in middle school. The "thigh gap thing" had captured my group of friends. I had a thigh gap at the time. I was a lanky middle schooler! But I have to admit, I have had times in my life where I didn't have that gap, and I don't have one now. My point is, is that I never really understood how in the world the media has gotten us to think either one is a bad thing! I totally agree with your points from Robinson's book. It is about time we all just do what makes us happy, love our bodies how they are, and not give the media that power over how we think of ourselves. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie! I honestly never heard of a thigh gap until I read Phoebe Robinson’s book, Don’t Touch My Hair. I had to google “what is a thigh gap?” to understand it. The Just Boobs comedy sketch, “Thigh Gap Jeans” that you posted is quite funny. I particularly liked the line “Don't let unrealistic beauty standards get you down. Let them get you shopping!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture at the end is great. The video was funny too. And yeah, I'm not sure what I would do without my thighs the way they were. My cats would have nowhere to lay on my lap, and would just start laying across my keyboard again. They already walk on it enough, I don't need to give them more incentive.
    As you said, beauty standards have always been ridiculous. I'm not a history major, but I've heard enough examples of trends (like corsets, and face whitening with lead paint) to know they're pretty much never good for women. When they're not downright painful and harmful to the body, they still require a lot of effort. For the women that want to go to that effort, they can by all means--especially with makeup, a lot of women can use it to express their creativity and do some incredible work. But the media needs to stop acting like all women need thigh-gaps, or any of the newest "beauty" trends.

    ReplyDelete