Friday, May 31, 2019

My Connection to Robinson's "You Can't Touch My Hair"

I am super excited to write this Blog! After reading Robinson's, "You Can't Touch My Hair" I am purchasing the book. It is a done deal, I must read more! The reading was extremely captivating, and I could not help but to develop a personal connection with it. I wish I would have held off the content on the last blog and saved it for this one. However, I am going to relate this to my personal experience again, but in a different light.

To start, just by looking at the title I already made a connection with this book. I thought to myself, “Yes! Finally someone is talking about this!”. Side note: As a biracial female, I am NOT the spokesperson for black or biracial people. Everyone’s experiences and background differ. Okay, I know my hair texture is different, but you should not touch people’s hair without asking. It’s super annoying when people, sometimes complete strangers, approach you and start running their fingers through your hair. First of all, you should never put yourself in that kind of danger. If you attempt to run your fingers through my hair, they will get stuck, and I am not responsible for your injuries. Secondly, after you have fought for your life to keep your fingers, you have now angered it (I use personification because it truly has a mind of its own). And it will remain angry until I get home to fix it. So please, please, please, do not touch the mane. 




Robinson discusses the phrase "good hair". In our society that term is linked to anything but black people hair. Hogwash. We all have good and bad hair days. You cannot associate a specific race and hair texture as "bad". For most of my life I too thought I had "bad hair". I always thought straight was somehow better. After a while I came to a point in my life where I was tired of fighting and learned to love it. However, that does not mean I have to only be curly. If I wanted to cut my hair short I could rock an afro! If I wanted a weave I could go to a store and buy a bundle! There is so much one can do with their hair. Experimenting with different styles and textures, does not discredit your own. I love my curls, on the good and bad days!



Phoebe notes that her inspiration was the artist Res. I think it's important to credit your inspirations. Therefore, I want to spotlight some people who have inspired me over the course of my self-love journey. Growing up most biracial girls I knew hated their hair and always straightened it. So I turned to YouTube. The first Youtuber that inspired me to accept my hair was SunKiss Alba. She is an incredible person and I love that she is all about being 100% natural. She does not use anything toxic on her hair, skin, or in her diet. I think this was what attracted me the most to her. My hair would not be in its current, healthy state it I had not stumbled upon her videos.

SunKiss Alba: 
Sheesh, what a Queen!

 Another inspiration that helped me embrace myself as a biracial woman in general is Samantha Maria. She’s a YouTuber in London. She often discusses her own struggles as a biracial person and it is always comforting to know there are other girls out there just like you, from all over the world. I love her bubbly, free spirited personality and edgy style! She has taught me a lot from my biracial identity to other lessons I have applied in my life. She has shown me that it is my choice on who I want to be as a person. 



Samantha Maria: 
Just wow. Another Queen!

It is astonishing how most of us go our whole lives without ever meeting our celebrity icons and inspirations, yet they have such a heavy impact on our lives. Robinson addresses that when she first discovered Res, she looked over her shoulder as her. Then once she gained her own self-identity and confidence she looked over her shoulder as Phoebe (26). Truly remarkable. Each YouTuber has helped shaped my life in some way and I am forever grateful for what I have learned and gained from them. 


Who inspires you? I would love to know! They don’t have to be celebrities or YouTube influencers. 

10 comments:

  1. I enjoy your sense of humor! I also like how you mention people who inspire you, similar to the way Robinson talks about people who inspire her. As for me, the person who I find inspiring is my mom. I am the only one out of my sisters who has curly hair, and growing up, I really wanted to have straight hair like my sisters. My mom always encouraged me to embrace it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ,embrace the curls! I definitely understand wanting to have straight hair, especially when those around you do not have the same hair texture. That's awesome your mother inspires you! Mine also inspires me. Moms can be such rock stars!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful women to look up to. And while reading about the idea of people wanting to touch Robinson's hair, like you mentioned, I know it has a different texture, but that's just weird. By that logic, white people's hair has a different texture from other ethnicities, but I've never had someone ask to touch my hair. It would just be obvious that that's creepy and unacceptable, so why wouldn't that apply to everyone?
    People who inspire tend to be authors. Patrick Rothfuss is a big one, because he wrote a great fantasy novel (Name of the Wind), yes, but also because he didn't publish until he was later in life and took years working on the book. It helps encourage me that I can accomplish something at my own pace, too. For other inspiring people, I'd probably list Youtubers, too. Dollightful is one who makes really cute doll repaints, and I just adore her work and aesthetic. ContraPoints is another one I've mentioned who makes really insightful videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a fair point, Bethany, but it does go both ways. I still think it is strange, regardless of who is touching who's hair, but yea. We should all follow your lead and just not touch the hair of strangers. I think that is a solid policy. I will check out ContraPoints. I love YouTube, despite the comments.

      Delete
    2. Oh it's super weird for strangers to touch anyone's
      hair. I'm only using my own personal experience. People always touch mine and make a comment about it. It applies to everyone and every hair texture for sure.

      Delete
  3. You make a great point about never meeting many of the people who inspire us. It is a strange thing, but something worth noting. I am the same way. Do You think that has more to do with familiarity breeding contempt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will answer your "who inspires you?" question in the cheesiest (but truest!) way. My students inspire me all the time--including you folks, doing such great work on a super-fast summer schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Olivia! This is an excellent blog post with some great gifs! To answer your question of who inspires me, my own personal answer would be the teachers that I have had throughout my life. Many of my teachers have inspired me with their positive encouragements. I hope some day to become a teacher so that I can do the same with my future students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Teachers play such an important part in students' lives and I think it's wonderful you want to be that same role model your teachers were, to your future students. Based on your positive attitude, I have no doubt you'll succeed!

    ReplyDelete