Wednesday, June 19, 2019

"Writing About Writing" Blog Post

I would like to talk about the way that this class has changed me as a writer, but mostly as a student. 

Before this class, I would do what was asked and maybe a little more. I am not a perfect student my any means, but I think that I have become more involved in what is being taught. 

For example, this class has encouraged me to look beyond what the assignment is. We had options to choose from with some assignments. I chose the one most appealing to me, and sometimes watched an extra episode or special. 

I don't think I have ever done more in a class simply because I wanted to learn more. 

Yes, that sound horrible I know. 



But this class has also made me excited for English courses at a higher level. I really have enjoyed studying women in humor in different texts rather than just a text...if that makes sense. 

Taking that jump to a more in depth study regarding a specific topic has been so rewarding. It has made me interested in how women in humor relates to the world and to my life. 

It has also not happened very often that I study something I share with my family. This does not mean I don't find it interesting. This class has shown me a new way of not only learning things, but sharing them. Which I never have really done before. 

For example, I shared the entire Wanda Sykes special with my family who all found it hilarious. It was just a really cool experience that I have been reflecting on lately. 

We learn best when we teach things and I have seen that happen to me through what we have learned in this class. Through me sharing what I have learned and being interested in it, has shown me a new way of research, desire to learn, and sharing what I learn. 


5 comments:

  1. I agree, I feel like I have learned so much from this class! Not only was the focus of women and humor new to me (I have never had this focus in a class before!) but I have also never thought about the process of my own writing before. I thought I was going to find Harris's book to be boring, but it was actually really interesting and helpful. I have enjoyed this class overall:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you are saying Lexy! Typically, the books I have had in courses like these are simply for reference or used for specific parts. It was neat to incorporate Harris's book in order to understand the direction these "texts" were taking.

      I loved the way it was written and learned a lot from it honestly. The way Harris writes is relatable and I appreciate that, especially when talking about writing.

      It has been such a great class and the texts we used enhanced that for me!

      Delete
  2. Hi Emily! I’m glad that you and your family enjoyed the Wanda Sykes special. I watched some clips from it, and they were hilarious. I can definitely relate to your comment about this class encouraging you to look beyond what the assignment is. Actually, I wanted to watch all of the Netflix specials, but my schedule this semester was quite tight. Hopefully, I will be able to check them out later on. By the way, great penguin gif!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree Alexandra! I wanted to watch most of them too, but I am always so busy. It has been really cool to hear from different classmates about these specials. Now if I get the free time, I will know a little bit about them and will be encouraged to watch them, since our classmates enjoyed them.

      Thanks for the compliment on my gif. I thought it was cute!

      Wanda Sykes was hilarious and I am so glad we studied things that I wanted to share with people. It was a neat experience to share what I learned!

      Delete
  3. I also shared Not Normal with my family. I watched it with my father and he was in a constant state of awe. I also agree that it’s rare that we can share our classwork with our family. Usually the only way that this could occur would be if our parents picked up the same book we were assigned to read at the same time we were first assigned to read it. But with the multi-modal aspect to this course, through Netflix specials, we were given the opportunity to bond intellectually with our family members. And intellectual bonding never had so many laughter bellows.



    ReplyDelete