Sunday, June 16, 2019




Unit Seven Blog Post: Writing About Writing
For this blog post, I’m going to reflect upon my writing process during this semester. I think that my writing process differed in accordance to what the assignment was. For instance, when I wrote for the forum posts, I tried to whittle down my argument, thoughts, and comments  to a paragraph or two. I tried to be direct and to the point because I didn’t want to bore people. We all know that person that rambles on and on in online forums. Call me old-fashioned, but I much prefer to be longwinded and deadly dull to someone face to face. If I can’t see the incoming lasso of lethargy slowly encroaching upon your eyeballs while I talk about an article I read about cassowaries, then I honestly don’t see what the point of it all is. Technology is amazing, but the fine art of being a dullard is something that I take rather seriously. By the way, if you want to know about cassowaries, here is a link about them: http://mentalfloss.com/article/80394/10-facts-about-cassowaries


Whereas, with the response papers, I would aim for expanding upon my arguments. I would write down how many elements of my argument that were worth writing about. Then, I would outline the elements for each paragraph. Basically, this exercise was for me to see how many layers there were in my argument. If expanding upon the argument went relatively smoothly (nothing ever goes truly smoothly during the writing process), then I knew that it felt right for me to write about it. Basically, if I couldn’t argue as persistently as a steam punk sea lion, then I wouldn’t write it.

If the argument was too limited, then I wouldn’t use it for the response paper. If one can’t expand upon one’s argument enough, then there is a tendency to just run the argument around in circles throughout the paper. This is a negative thing for both the writer and the reader.
           

For writing the blog posts, I would follow the blog response guidelines and try to have some fun with them. Since this is a class about women in comedy and women’s humor, it felt like it was the right space to loosen up my writing style and try out a few different things. Besides, there are not many classes where students are encouraged to post gifs (if there is, please let know about it!) Often, I would use the blog as an excuse to write about random fun facts that I have accumulated over the years. Knowing about random fun facts is like owning a beautiful paper weight. It’s a pleasant thing to have, but you have no idea what to do with it. Henceforth, it was my chance to do something with them. Did my classmates want to know about my random fun facts? Well, that’s an entirely different story, I suppose….
Even though my writing process differed slightly from the different assignments, I seemed to maintain the core basics of my writing process. I edited all my body of work and I did a lot of research. As we read about in Rewriting: How to Do Things with Texts, editing is very important for improving a paper. Editing isn’t a lot of fun, but it is certainty crucial for a more successful paper. As for research, I personally enjoy that much more because I like to learn about new things. Well, can you believe it, this class is almost over. We are almost at the finishing line. I would love to hear your thoughts about this along the way.




6 comments:

  1. I also like that we are encouraged to use gifs! I've really enjoyed writing the blogs! I feel like it's a way for us to be more informal and laid back. We can talk about things that interest us or things that we find funny. And we're able to openly share that with our classmates and professor. I've loved seeing new gifs! I've enjoyed learning new things in general from everyone's blogs. Even cassowaries! And I know, I can't believe this is our last week. You're right. We're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Call me old-fashioned, but I much prefer to be longwinded and deadly dull to someone face to face.” This made me literally laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is so smart that you took notes while making your blog/forum posts and then had material ready for your response papers. I wish I had done that! When I was getting ready to select a topic for my major project I wished I had a list of some of the more interesting things that I argued during the semester, but going through all of the forums was a very daunting task. Now I know for next semester! You are very organized.

    This example will probably make me seem very odd, but I have experienced the power of note taking even in the physical classroom. I often have to take notes of the argument that I have forming in my head while my classmates speak, otherwise when I get called on I have no memory of what I wanted to bring up. I guess this is why I'm an english major!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Olivia, I really like how we were encouraged to get creative with our blog posts! I feel like I have learned a lot about everyone's personalities even through an online class. I also liked seeing your different writing processes for the assignments in this class. Writing notes and making outlines are a great way to keep your thoughts organized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you Olivia. This class has encouraged me to try new things with my writing in a helpful way. It has allowed me to be creative in that attempt, too.

    I guess I never really thought about my strategies ask you explain regarding the difference between blogs/forums/papers. But you are right! There have been times in the past where I have left things out of an assignment someone else had to read to save them time in trying to understand what I am trying to say.

    This class has truly helped me use different ways and words through expressing myself in order to help those thoughts come into play in helping my argument.

    It's been great to read your comments Olivia! Thanks for a great class this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I was looking at Olivia's comment when I wrote this. I do agree with you Olivia, but the ending was for Alexandra! Lol, I am going to comment on your posts shortly! Sorry!

      Delete