Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Unit Four: How We Discover Songs and Their Covers


I think it’s cool how we can stumble upon music in different ways. Often times, we hear it on the radio, YouTube, or someone suggests you listen to it. Now, I am a movie fanatic. It’s one of the many things I enjoy doing in my free time. One of the things I appreciate with movies is the soundtrack. Personally, this is how I find a great deal of music. Although, the songs may be old, they are new in terms of discovery.

I wrote my reflection paper on the meaning of the song “The Sound of Silence” by Simon and Garfunkel and the cover by the band Disturbed. Although, growing up I always heard people utter the line, “Hello darkness, my old friend”. However, I never knew the origin to that phrase. I did not make the connection until I finally watched the movie, The Graduate. I know that’s terrible.  





I have never watched the movie, Trolls, but apparently, they sing "The Sound of Silence" too! I think it's fascinating how producers decide which songs to incorporate in a movie. 



Another example of this is Elvis Presley’s song “Can’t Help Falling in Love”. I did not hear this song until I watched the popular Extra Gum commercial with the cover performed by Haley Reinhart: 


The song was also performed by Kina Grannis in the movie Crazy, Rich Asians. Which I have also
not watched, but it's on my list. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HucEJEbAP3s&t=43s

I think covers have the power to alter how we interpret the meaning. It's also interesting how there are so many ways to discover these songs. Through these various outlets, you can stumble across a songs origin and it can lead to covers. There are countless other songs that are featured in movies that each have covers. 

Have you ever made a connection or discovery to a song through a movie, show, commercial, ect? 



6 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia! I have discovered music through movie soundtracks, like the soundtracks for Goodfellas, Trainspotting, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Diva etc. I have also discovered music through record stores. Record store employees/ owners tend to play good music on good quality speakers in the stores. If I hear some music something that I like, I just go up to record store employees/ owners and ask what they are playing. They have always been very friendly and gracious to me. Record stores are the best. Long may they live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey that’s awesome! I wish I could approach people that way! I would be too shy to ask an employee for the song. Usually if I hear a song I listen to one line and quickly search for it on Google (haha). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Then I’m left wondering what the song was for the rest of my life.

      Delete
  2. Hi Olivia! I like the connections you made between music and the ways in which we discover it. When I think about movies that inspired me to listen to new music, I always think about eighties movies. One movie that turned me on to so much music that I love, is Dirty Dancing. Dirty Dancing is one of my all time favorites, but besides the glory of Patrick Swayze, the movie was made great because of music by artists like The Ronettes, Frankie Vallie and The Four Seasons, Otis Redding and The Contours. I think it's worth a watch no matter what kind of music you like. I love how one song can bring you back to a whole film, like "I've Had the Time of My Life" does for me with Dirty Dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. It really is interesting how one song can take you back to a specific movie! 80's movies are just amazing. I agree that one of the assets that made Dirty Dancing so loveable was the soundtrack. Whenever I hear the song Don’t You Forget About Me, I automatically think of The Breakfast Club!

      Delete
  3. Such a fun post Olivia! I love it. One of the strongest examples I can think of regarding discovering new music comes from one of my all time favorite shows -- Glee! oh how I love that wonderful show. They do remixes and covers of hundred of songs throughout the seasons. Glee redefined those songs for me and have given me a stronger understanding of their meaning throughout the seasons. It is really cool how they've accomplished this and their performances of some songs have shows me a different version of a song I may have not enjoyed before! So cool, thanks for an awesome post! (Unit 5 comment)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Emily! I've never watched Glee, but I have friends that have, and they loved it! That's great you're able to not only enjoy the show, but you're introduced to new music and covers too. I agree that covers can completely redefine your interpretation of a song. That’s one of the beauties of music!

    ReplyDelete