Tuesday, June 4, 2019

"Old Town Road" -- Too Old to Be Catchy? Unit 5 Blog

Now judging by the title of my blog, you either really want to scroll past this post, or you really want to comment on it.

This post will explore why songs are catchy and I will talk about why I think "Old Town Road" falls into the catchy category.

I recently completed my Response 5 Paper in which I deiced to remodel my Response Paper 4. My Response Paper 4 was an unorganized version of why I think Old Town Road is catchy.

I turned it into an interesting argument. My thesis was the following statement:

"I think the song is catchy because of all the attention it has received and the issues it has faced with race, categorizing, and the catchy beat it plays. It also has the timing that causes the listener to begin the song, and as they start to catch on, it ends which leads to listening again and again. Lil Nas X did something interesting with mixing the genres when he produced the song, and Billy Ray added a new element months later. The song is constantly changing, being remixed, and being given attention – no matter the versionThe songs catchiness extends by adding humor in the lyricsThe artists, Lil Nas X and Cyrus obviously did something successful in the making of this song that crosses both the lines of country and hip-hop. "

The song, which I do admit I don't hate is something that has quickly made its way into a category of meme humor. This also adds to its popularity and catchiness, I argue in my paper. It has been so interesting to me to analyze why in the world something so funny and simple would be played on the radio every other 5 songs. I chose this topic for my blog and my recent papers because I have truly never thought about why songs are so catchy. I have always talked about it, but never put my thoughts on paper. It helped me to learn a lot about what we are drawn to, what sticks, and why in terms of pop culture and music. 

What do you think? Even if you hate the song due to it being overplayed -- why do you think it is catchy? Is there a song that constantly gets stuck in your head? Is it the lyrics, the beat, or maybe the artist that makes it so catchy? 



3 comments:

  1. I too, think it is interesting to contemplate what makes a song "a hit." In fact, there are people who do this for their job, as a part of the music industry. Hits mean money, and so there is always someone trying to cash in on what the next phenomenon will be. I do think that "Old Town Road" hit the charts at a time when our country is very interested in what parts of culture are open to different groups of people, in terms of cultural appropriation. Because there are so many white artists who steal from those of other cultures, many people were outraged when "Old Town Road" was taken deemed not "country enough." Although the song is catchy simply because of the beat, I do not think it's timing could be have been better in terms of when it was released.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “I have truly never thought about why songs are so catchy.” I haven’t ever thought of why this is either. What makes a song catchy? Is it the syncopation with some kind of mathematical tone network, that touches our brains in some weird way, that artists accidently hit upon during the inception of their songs? Or is it just happenstance, and sort of dependent on artists understanding the popular makeup of music and sort of just churning out something that synchs up with what’s already been popular? I don’t know either but it’s a great question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story behind Why Lil Nas X wrote/ performed "Old Town Road" was becausw he was that her was too "urban" to be a country singer. This song pushing back on the stereotype that only white people can be country singers. The song is pretty catchy; my one year nephew dances every time this song comes on:)

    ReplyDelete