Friday, June 7, 2019

Unit 5


As I was watching Ali Wong’s stand up show I was impressed…  and shocked… by a lot of things. But her 80’s and 90’s pop culture references had me going down memory lane and I’ve enjoyed reading so many of your posts about your favorite things so I thought I’d share some goodies from my YA years.


When I was young, we used to go to the local pizza shop in, what was then a small town in Northern Virginia, to hang out and play arcade games, one of them being Pac Man. The game table they had looked something like this:


I remember looking forward to those Friday nights with the family or riding bikes halfway across town with friends on those hot summer evenings, our legs sweaty and sticking together when we got to the pizza shop because we were wearing shorts and because, well… no thigh gap.

That brings me to my next memory of my YA years. Culottes. Yes, these were a thing. In fact, I think my Mom made most of mine with a McCall’s pattern packet like this one.


The scariest thing here is not that they were in but that I think they’re back in. You’re Welcome.

We didn't have computers or cell phones when I was young, so we passed the downtime reading or watching movies. One could often find me with my nose in a book, some of my YA favorite books were Sweet Valley High, The Babysitter's Club and my favorite classics Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie.



I know The Goonies was a popular movie at that time, but I never enjoyed it much. I did like, however, The Neverending Story, Top Gun, Bettlejuice, Can't Buy Me Love and some oldies like Grease and The Sound of Music.


Thanks for letting me share, it was a fun trip down memory lane!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie! Your blog post is a lot of fun! I used to play Pac-Man all the time. Nowadays, I’m more of a pinball type of girl. I also used to collect and read the Sweet Valley High books. I even had a Sweet Valley High board game. I haven’t read the books in ages, but I wonder what it would be like to revisit them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nostalgic posts like this are always fun. I was also a fan of Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables--I particularly liked Anne of Green Gables because I had red hair and often identified with Anne (my hair has gotten to be closer to brunette as I've aged, which is a little sad, even if I like brunette). My family had a computer when I was growing up, but internet wasn't as big as it is now, so most of my time on it was spent playing computer games and drawing in paint. I've heard a little bit about Ali Wong from the other students, and I'm curious about what kinds of references her comedy included.

    ReplyDelete