Monday, June 17, 2019

Unit Seven Post - Final Reflection: Public Writing

In my final reflection for this class, I'd like to touch on what made it so special for me: the blogging. I have taken quite a few summer courses, although this was my first one with the English department. Out of all the online courses I have been a part of, I felt that the blog posts and the comments that were posted to them were the closest thing to the way that conversation happens naturally in a classroom in the English department. Both the blogs and the forums gave me the chance to see what kind of writing style my peers had, but unlike the forums, the blog posts gave the opportunity to bring up more far-fetched or unprecedented ideas and conversations, which I greatly enjoyed. I think sometimes the best ideas or connections to literature are the unexpected ones. 

(Although sometimes it can be easy to go off on tangents, like in this video!) 

In addition to getting to see the writing style of my classmates, I have also loved using the blogging portion of this class to work on my "public" writing. Harris talked a lot about public writing and how it is different from academic writing. Before being a part of this class, I wasn't sure what I thought about blogging. I had read some really good blogs, yes, but I had also read a lot of terrible blogs, filled with tips on things like how to make your dog less afraid of thunderstorms and how to dust your house without moving off of your right butt cheek. 


However, I loved blogging for this class and reading my classmates' blogs. I have felt in the past that I am pretty bottled-up as a writer when I am doing academic writing, such as writing a paper. One of my professors last semester even liked the half of a twenty page paper that I wrote after a few margs better than the half I wrote in solitary concentration in my apartment. So, I think I needed to loosen up. 


Working on my public writing helped me feel comfortable trying to incorporate humor, personal anecdotes, pop culture references, and previous knowledge into my writing. It also helped me have confidence that maybe, just maybe, the topics that I felt like writing about, were actually worth writing about! 


In addition, I think that working on my public writing actually improved my academic writing. One comment I used to get a lot from professors was that in my papers there was "too much source" and "not enough you." After spending this first month of the summer writing blogs that were pretty much all "me," I think I have a better idea how to achieve this balance in my writing. 

All in all, I think this course has made me a more adventurous, more confident and more flexible writer. And although I did talk in one of my last blog posts about how I still felt some writer's block about my Major Project, I was proud of the writing I did for this class, blogs and Major Project included.  

How about you all? Do you feel that one of your strengths as a writer has improved during this course? Was blogging your favorite aspect of it, or something else entirely? 

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Fiona! I liked blogging for this class too. I loved the clip that you posted, I thought that it was hilarious! The ominous music in the background makes it even funnier. I nearly spat out the water I was drinking when he said “do ya love to go a-wandering beneath a clear blue sky?” Since this man is so darn inquisitive in this video clip, I’m going answer all of his questions.
    Question: “Have you ever had the desire to write your initials in wet cement?”
    Answer: No, I have never had the desire to write my initials in wet cement because when it dries, someone might mistakenly think that it belongs to the late Andy Rooney.
    Question: “Ever gone mountain biking?”
    Answer: No, but maybe I should try it sometime.
    Question: “What do you want to be when you grow up?”
    Answer: A teacher, but I would also settle for being a professional chocolate taste tester, travel or art critic. I’m good with those options, too.
    Question: “What’s the right tip?”
    Answer: Google, answer this one for me, https://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/tipping/
    Question: “Have you called a plumber to your home lately?”
    Answer: No, but the night is young.
    Question: “How superstitious are you?”
    Answer: I’m not very superstitious. Ghosts are allergic to my intense apathy.
    Question: “How much money would it take for you to spend a night in a cemetery?”
    Answer: $100 and free pizza. I’m a cheap date. Besides, dead people don’t bother me because they have very quiet personalities.
    Question: “Would you display this as a trophy?”
    Answer: No, my friend Bullwinkle would never forgive me.
    Question: “Do you have a pet?”
    Answer: Pet rocks from the 70s count, right? I also have some beautiful fish in a pond.
    Question: “Do you have a sweet tooth?”
    Answer: Heck yeah! Every time I see an untouched bowl of lollipops at my bank, my soul cries a little inside.
    Question: “Do you believe in the power of a curse?”
    Answer: (Insert Andy Warhol voice) um, no.
    Question: “Have you had your hearing tested lately?”
    Answer: Yes, my hearing is fine.
    Question: “Planning a trip soon?”
    Answer: Probably, I’m thinking about checking out some museum exhibitions in Washington D.C.
    Question: “Can you remember the tallest man you have ever seen?”
    Answer: My poetry teacher is pretty tall… but the tallest man I have ever seen…. (Insert Andy Warhol voice) um, no.
    Question: “do ya love to go a-wandering beneath a clear blue sky?”
    Answer: My favorite question! (Insert clapping like a happy seal.) Sadly, my personal answer is no. I prefer to Prancercise under a clear blue sky. Going a-wandering is much more exciting when it is grey and foggy. You never know what will turn up!
    Question: “Have you noticed what big stars real estate agents have become?”
    Answer: Celebrity real estate agents had standards? I honestly had no idea. It sounds juicy, though. I would definitely buy a .99 paperback to read all about it.
    Question: “Are you careful with your personal records?”
    Answer: Of course, I am. I always try to have the strongest passwords. For instance, one of my passwords is…wait, never mind.
    Question: “Does your computer ever seem to have a mind of its own?”
    Answer: Yes, thank goodness for tech support. They are the cat’s pajamas.
    Question: “Have you ever visited the Chinatown section of a major city?”
    Answer: Yes, I have. Chinatown in Washington D.C. is awesome!
    Question: “Have you ever visited a flea market?”
    Answer: Sure have! I lllllooooooovvvvvveeeee flea markets.
    Question: “Have you ever visited a truck stop?”
    Answer: No, but it sounds like it would be an interesting experience.
    Question: “Ever had a job as a waiter?
    Answer: No.
    Question: “Ever notice how many successful restaurants are theme based these days?”
    Answer: (Insert concerned mom voice) son, Planet Hollywood and Chuck E. Cheese’s Animatronic Band need to have a talk with you.




    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fiona! I've enjoyed this class so much and still can't believe that this is it. This was the first time I had ever taken any summer courses and taking three at one time was not a good idea. But it taught me so much about time management. Most of the time when I'm writing papers it takes me forever to get started. I feel that this class has pushed me to just start typing, let the thoughts come, and worry about editing and revising later. I really enjoyed being able to write Blogs. It was nice to have to escape academic writing and focus on something a bit less serious (in terms of writing style). I could write about something that interested me while discussing something learned from the readings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see that writing blogs helped you! I initially was not that big of a fan of writing blogs when this class first started. Now, I think blogs are a helpful way to get students out of their shell and to have them interact with their peers. I always enjoyed reading your blogs and seeing your personality come through in your writing. Also, this line: "how to dust your house without moving off of your right butt cheek," made me laugh out loud:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that writing blogs has been good for developing a public writing voice. I still have a hard time loosening up when responding to other people, but I've really enjoyed writing the blogs themselves. I tend to be less formal in essays because I usually just can't convince myself to keep up a stiff tone all the way through, and with the blogs it felt nice to be able to relax and not worry about whether that was proper or not. Writing is supposed to be fun, and I want to write with my voice, not the voice I think will appeal to professors more. Your blogs have been really fun to read this semester, and I'm glad you had fun writing them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that public writing has improved all our writing too. Maybe it’s just due to the incredible amount of writing we were all forced to do from the get-go. Then again, maybe it’s from the fact 372 made everybody write four individual types of writing. Commenting, essay, response, and blog. I feel like the mixture of both of these facts has made us all better writers. I also felt unsure of my public writing until this class. It’s not often one has a class that makes public writing a requirement. The closest I’ve seen any class get to public writing would have to be reading what you’ve written out loud during a journaling exercise. That is not the same thing.

    ReplyDelete