Friday, June 7, 2019

Speechless after watching "Ask a Slave," Why? (Unit 6 Blog)

Speechless after watching "Ask a Slave," Why? (Unit 6 Blog)

Why are they things we don't feel qualified to talk about? Even though I've studied issues regarding discrimination, sometimes I don't feel qualified to talk about things.

The exception here would be women's rights. I think that goes without having to go into politics. I do feel qualified to talk about women's rights as well as education. 



Recently for Unit 6, I was able to get a head start and watch "Ask a Slave." This short show allows the audience to ask questions about slavery to Lizzie Mae, an actress who plays the fiction character of Mae as President George and Martha Washington's house slave.  The comedy show incorporates humorous lines, but also hard truths about racism. 

I enjoyed the show greatly but had a had time putting my thoughts into words after her show. It wasn't because I didn't like it, I just was shocked at some of the people's questions to her. I was also at a loss of words because even though I have studied slavery, racism and slavery is something I don't feel qualified to talk about. Just because I have studied it, doesn't mean I know how that feels -- I don't. 

I know this turned kind of serious, but I think it is important to evaluate why that is? 


Is there anything you don't feel qualified to talk about? Why is that true for you? Or are you comfortable and feel qualified to talk about everything as long as you study it?

There is no wring answer. I just noticed that after I laughed, gasped, and clapped at "Ask a Slave," I also noticed that it was hard for me to come to terms with the text and thought it was worth discussing. 

4 comments:

  1. A really interesting post! I think it makes sense that you are thinking about this topic--_Ask A Slave_ kind of invites this kind of thinking! I think everyone should feel able to talk about anything; what is important is how you enter a conversation and behave in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this! I've encountered this a lot and have been faced to think about it throughout several of the readings. Personally, I don't feel comfortable talking about things I'm not educated in. I think if I'm going to give my opinion, I need to understand what I'm talking about. On the other hand, there are certainly political matters that I do have an understand about, that I still don't feel comfortable discussing. I think it stems from my fear of offending or upsetting someone. I was also shocked by the questions people asked Lizzie. Then that poses something else, what's an acceptable or unacceptable question? Where's the line drawn? Now my mind is spinning. Thank you for this blog, Emily! I think it's important to reflect and discuss this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like one opens one’s mouth to discover what one is unqualified to talk about. After I meet someone who knows much more than I do I let them take me away to that special place of understanding something more clearly. I am very unqualified to talk about the gender identity issue. I don’t know much about it and whenever I talk about it I usually rub someone the wrong way. So I’ve just stopped talking about it. Eventually I plan on doing some research and knowledge building on the subject, but that day has yet to come. I need an incentive like a non-binary roommate or classmate of some kind I want to understand on a deeper level. As long as one has a good grasp on the knowledge of any subject one should be able to talk about that subject. If not then why do research in the first place? The correct place of knowledge in people’s lives is the development through conversation with others about that knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are definitely a lot of things I feel unqualified to speak for, but unfortunately I have a hard time shutting my mouth and often talk about them anyway. One of the major topics that often comes up that I want to speak on, but feel I maybe shouldn't, is LGBTQ issues. I've identified as straight for most of my life, but I now have a group of friends that includes trans women, ace people, and my boyfriend who is pansexual. I'm interested in LGBTQ rights, but I don't feel like simply being friends with people in the community certifies me to talk on the matter. Of course, as I mentioned, I still do end up talking about it. It's an important topic for me, and since feminism is often at odds with aspects of the movement (particularly concerning trans women), I feel like if I want to continue to define myself as a feminist, I need to make an effort to show that feminism is about including all women, not just people who were assigned female at birth.

    ReplyDelete