Sunday, June 16, 2019

Unit Seven Post - Putting One Foot in Front of the Other: Writing about Writing and Christmas in June

The topic "Writing about Writing" made me think about two things: Harris and Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. Wait what? Okay bear with me. When I think about writing, I think about putting "one foot in front of the other!" I'm very corny so naturally around this time of year I start to miss all of those really corny things you can only watch/do at Christmas. I'm terribly sorry, but this is my blog so you'll have to indulge me. Welcome to my Christmas in June writing lab. 


When reading Harris this semester and thinking about his discussion of drafting, I was able to come up with the following self-assessment: for me, starting a writing project (whether it is an essay, a poem, etc.) is always the hardest part. Sometimes, being assigned a long paper feels like your prof is kicking you off the top of a very long and terrifying slide.


But once I get going, it's not that bad. 

After having made this self-assessment, I was sure that I would not fall prey to this problem in the future. However, when it came time to write my Major Project, there it was again - the pre-writing fear and anxiety. I stared at my screen, watching the battery percentage on my MacBook go down. It made me want to run away!


However, eventually I pulled it together, like I always manage to, and put some words to paper (or keyboard, rather). But the question remains - will my pre-writing fear ever cease to exist? Do I want it to? And what steps can I use (and have I used) to acknowledge this pre-writing fear, and make writing just a little bit easier? 

So here's the self-assessment of the self-assessment. 

Here's what I do when the pre-writing jitters are particularly bad and I am FROZEN and unable to begin. A few tips (that have worked for me) that I definitely used when writing my Major Project. 

1. If you can't bring yourself to write anything, create your MLA heading. Properly format your document, and add page numbers. You will at least begin to see your word count! This sounds dumb, but it tricks your brain into thinking you have already started writing. 

2. Try to think of a title. It will probably change later, but it makes you feel like you've started. And, it can help you think about what the most important theme of your paper will be. See number three.

3. Come up with a rough thesis. Hopefully your title brainstorming helped with this. Although as college students we are far past the three paragraph essay model, sometimes I still try to plan my thesis in terms of three smaller ideas that make up a larger idea. This often changes later and it is not necessary, but it works for me. See, you got this! 


4. Don't worry about your introduction right away, if you can't think of a good lead in. Whatever you are inspired to write, write it (or type it) down. You could even write your conclusion first, if you have a good clincher! The restructuring can come later. 

5. If you come up with a sentence or idea that you think is good but you have no idea where it will fit into your paper, don't scrap it. Just hit return and leave it somewhere to the bottom of your page. Later, you can paste it in where it fits. 

6. Work on your references page as you go. To some people this may seem annoying, but I always feel relieved when I finish an assignment and my Works Cited page is already completed. In addition, doing the rather mindless work of formatting your sources can be a nice break from the real thinking involved in writing your paper. I usually create the citation for a particular work right after I reference it in my paper.

Obviously, I am not a writing expert, like Harris (or Dr. H!), so take these suggestions with a grain of salt. They work for me, but they may not work for everyone. What I am trying to get at here, is that for me, the hardest part is starting. So, I come up with lots of little tricks to start off in a less painful manner. Just put one foot in front of the other!

 

And just a little bit more... I don't think that I would completely get rid of the pre-writing jitters, even if I could. Yes, they're terrible, but I think my anxiety about writing makes me try just a little harder, and end up with a product I'm more satisfied with. As someone who came from a musical background, pre-writing jitters remind me of stage fright. Yes, it can be a scary feeling - but its also one of the best feelings! If you don't have a few butterflies, you probably don't care as much as you should. So hopefully by now, you're all done your Major Projects. Congratulations! 


7 comments:

  1. I completely feel you about the pre-writing jitters! I get so overwhelmed with ideas that my brain shuts down before I can even get started. I enjoyed your list of suggestions that helped you throughout your paper! I also like to get all my sources and works cited page in order before I finish the paper. And funny enough, figuring out my title was the last thing I did! I kept changing it because I didn't think it was good enough then BOOM! It just came to me as I was wrapping up my conclusion. I definitely think you can't stress too much about what exactly to write (easier said than done I know). I just have to start typing then my creative juices start pumping and I can go back and make corrections. Also, really love your references to Christmas and the awesome gifs! Congratulations on working through the jitters and getting your project done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for overcoming your jitters and powering through the initial difficulty of writing! I understand your indecision about titling - titling is so difficult! I always find myself trying to walk the thin line between sticking with a basic, boring title and coming up with a more interesting title but having it come off as self-important or too much. For me in particular, I have trouble titling writing that I feel especially close to or care a lot about. I often have a lot of trouble titling my poetry, and so sometimes I leave it untitled. But that somehow feels disappointing as well! I don't always want to be the "untitled girl." In addition, when I work on a paper for a long time, and it is a very long one - I feel a lot of pressure for the title to be great and meaningful and overarching. Sometimes it can help to steal a phrase from the author you are writing about or to quote a particularly catchy phrase from their writing within the title. I am not above punny titles, even in academic writing!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Those jitters can definitely get the best of you. It's comforting to know that someone else finds title difficult! Like you said, I think there's this pressure that you have to have the perfect, over the top. I think being untitled can be cool! But I understand that you wouldn't want to be labeled as the one that always goes untitled. It helps a lot to pull something from a quote or a line that catches your eye from a text.

      Delete
  2. I love your list of tips and might just give it to future classes. They are that good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Fiona! The “Christmas in June writing lab” theme of blog post is adorable and clever. I don’t get pre-writing jitters. My own writing fears tend to emerge after I have submitted a paper. For instance, after I submit something on Sakai, I think “gee, maybe I should have edited that paper more…did I misspell “obsolescence?” Oh, no!” I usually fret about this till the grade arrives. I like editing and writing workshops because I can go back and fix things in my paper that had previously bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! I really enjoyed this "Christmas in June" blog! I totally understand the pre-writing jitters. I do a lot of the same things on this list! I always do my heading and my work cited page first; It really does help seeing the word count go up! I like the point that you made about the jitters as well. It's true, the jitters or dread of starting a paper makes you appreciate when it is finally done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great Fiona! I also really love those corny Christmas movies and am guilty of watching them often, even in June. Love that connection so much for so many reasons.

    In terms of what you wrote about, I can relate to that too! You said it perfectly. I have always used most of those tips but I never thought of putting them into words. Two of my favorites to use when I don't feel like starting a paper, is the tip about starting the heading, and the Work Cited page. They really work for some crazy reason, but I totally agree that they are useful. Those in particular have helped me many times.

    This was a such a great post. I have truly enjoyed reading the posts you make. Thanks for a great class!

    ReplyDelete